1. Define power and contrast leadership and power.
2. Contrast the five bases of power.
3. Explain the role of dependence in power relationships.
4. Identify nine power or influence tactics and their contingencies.
5. Show the connection between sexual harassment and the abuse of power.
6. Identify the causes and consequences of political behavior.
7. Apply impression management techniques.
8. Determine whether a political action is ethical.
Chapter 13, Power and Politics – Section Outlines
I. Power is the capacity that A has to influence the behavior of B, so that B acts in accordance with A’s wishes.
A. Definition of power the ability to influence the behavior of others. …show more content…
• Personal power – Influence derived from an individual’s characteristics.
• Expert power – Influence based on special skills or knowledge.
• Referent power – Influence based on identification with a person who has desirable resources or personal traits.
• Power tactics – Ways in which individuals translate power bases into specifics actions.
• Political skill – The ability to influence others in such a way as to enhance one’s objectives.
• Sexual Harassment – Any unwanted activity of a sexual nature that affects an individual’s employment and creates a hostile work environment.
• Political behavior – Activities that are not required as part of a person’s formal role in the organization but that influence, or attempt to influence, the distribution of advantages and disadvantages within the organization.
• Impression Management (IM) – The process by which individuals attempt to control the impression others form of them.
• Defensive behaviors – Reactive and proactive behaviors to avoid action, blame, or change
Chapter 17, Human Resources Policies and Procedures – Learning Objectives
1. Define initial selection, and identify the most useful methods.
2. Define substantive selection, and identify the most useful methods.
3. Define contingent selection, and contrast the